he Moore Free Library was the creation of a generous and public-spirited lady in the nineteenth century. Mrs. Philura C. Moore, widow of a well-to-do drover, doubled the size of her little house in 1898, and promptly turned part of it into the library which the town needed so badly. She acted as the librarian as well as suppling the books, the fittings and furniture. A few years later, a private charitable trust called the Moore Free Library Association was formally established. To this trust, Mrs. Moore turned over the books, the library furnishings and money, and later her entire house. Most of her residual estate remains in trust to this day for the library's benefit.
Mrs. Moore's spirit of generosity has not diminished over the years, for the Moore Free Library has expanded and flourished entirely by virtue of private voluntary donations. It serves the citizens of the Newfane community with a collection of five thousand books, numerous magazines, a librarian in attendance and a special reading room for children. It sponsors concerts, an annual art show, story hours for children, an annual scholarship, school prizes, children's drama workshops, free books for school children, and it maintains an Outdoor Museum several hundred yards up West Street.
Back to Newfane homepage.
By REDCAMP CREATIONS